Monday, January 20, 2014

I Have A Dream

Today is Martin Luther King Jr Day. King is famous for his "I Have A Dream" speech in Lincoln Memorial, Washington D.C.. Named after the speech, I have a dream foundation is an non-profit organization that helps children from low income family to graduate and go to college. It provides after school activities such as math, reading, and etc. I have a dream is based on Boulder but schools in Lafayette or other regions near Boulder participates in the program.

(an image of Dr. Martin L. King jr.)

I volunteer in Ryan Elementary School. It is located right next to Centaurus High School. Last Tuesday, when I went there to volunteer, kids were learning about who Dr. Martin L. King is and why he is important. I was deeply touched by the fact that even this little kids know what's right and what's wrong. One of the student said, "They(white people) treated them(African Americans) mean." The children were shocked that back than, there were separate schools, churches, and even toilets that differ whites from African Americans. Of course this young children don't understand what "separate but equal" or Jim Crow Laws are but still I thought it was very meaningful to educate young children that racism is bad and every men have the right to be equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment