Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunday Goodness

This weekend, I’m going to volunteer in a Reading Buddy program in the Louisville public library. I volunteer in the library every Sundays for about two hours every week. The reading buddy for the first session is Prim. She is in first grade and she’s a bright girl. She likes Dr. Seuss series and other books too. She can read very challenging books that has half page full of 12 font words. I don’t think I was able to read such long books in first grade. All the books she picks are quite challenging and above her grade level. Sometimes she even teaches me how to pronounce some words like “disguise” which I always pronounce as dis-guise when it’s suppose to sound like dis’gaiz. (There are words I just cannot pronounce like “wood.” My middle school friends worked so hard for me to fix saying “woud” instead of “wʊdn.”) Since in the reading buddy program, the volunteers give the kids stickers which if the kids gather five of them, we give prizes, Prim is eager to collect those five stickers. Last week, she got a prize! Hurray!
I’m with a boy called Milan for the second session. He is in kindergarten and he’s not as bright as Prim but he is adorable. He can read words like “I”, “He, She”, and “The.” So usually I read most of the sentences but let him to read the words he now. He isn't as eager as Prim for getting the prizes or reading but I believe he’s just shy a little bit. In the last session, which was almost three weeks ago, we did a activity, a bingo game where you have to ask other kids questions that’s in the boxes, with other reading buddies too. First Milan was shy to ask anyone but later he was very enthusiastic and got along with everyone just fine.
Both Prim and Milan are wonderful kids. Assuming English is their second language, which I found it out in the form they filled out, they are both doing amazingly great! Hope to see Milan and Prim this Sunday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment