Sunday, February 2, 2014

Tragic Hero: Into the Wild

Last week, Natalie, Alison, Daisy, and I decided to watch Into the Wild for our tragic hero project. I'd never heard of the movie so first I had trouble discussing how to illustrate the poster. Today, I just finished the movie while my rest of the family is watching the Super Bowl. Into the Wild is a true-based story about a young man named Christopher Jordan Mccandless. He calls himself Alexander Supertramp in most of the movie. Alex is a boy who hates the society he's living in and believes his freedom and happiness resides in the deep woods in Alaska. So after graduating college, he goes on a trip heading Alaska. I personally hate traveling and love technology so I had hard time relating myself to Alex.


Alex inspires number of people he meets during his journey which proves his traits of a hero. However since Alex is a tragic hero he falls down to the abyss and never returns (I'm trying to save the details for my essay). When I first read the plot summary of the movie (to understand what rest of my groups is discussing about), I thought it was a movie about how society is bad and people should all go back to nature. I was quiet surprised how the film ended. Most of the people when there's a film comparing the modern society and the nature tends to think nature is incomparably better than the modern society. This film tells although society seems cruel and unfair human has to live with relationships with other human. I really enjoyed this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment